Friday, September 4, 2009

Cupcakes





My submission to the painters challenge called Different Strokes From Different Folks hosted by artist Karin Jurick.
Between seeing the wonderful movie "Julie and Julia", and painting cupcakes, I am getting very interested in cooking and baking! I loved painting this challenge. I took Karin's advice and checked out the American painter Wayne Thiebaud, who is most famous for his paintings of everyday objects such as food, lipsticks, shoes and especially cakes and pastries. Interestingly, he was a sign painter early in his career, and so was I.
Painting these reminded me of birthday parties that my parents had for me when I was very young, and my mother made iced cupcakes, which I ate with ice cream and I love cake and ice cream to this day.
I didn't spend much time with tonal and colour sketches. I just drew charcoal sketch on a burnt sienna toned canvas panel, and painted most of it in one sitting and added highlights the next day. Sometimes I have to go away, and then come back to "see" what I should do next.

I really enjoyed this!
Check out all the others at the above link. It's amazing to see how differently everyone has handled this.

6x 8" Oil on Raymar cotton panel $65
Sold

9 comments:

  1. Had to come check out your blog when I noticed the paper texture. I am intrigued. Of course, then I scroll down and see a plethora of beautiful paintings! Have to admit, I love cake too. Not so much the ice cream, but cake! Maybe too much so which is why my DSfDF challenge piece came out the way it did. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your soft, painterly style. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful painting, I love the change of frosting color, the background blue, and your fresh painterly style. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully painted - very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited to have found your blog and your lovely paintings, Catherine (via your comment on Edward Burton's blog). Your work is wonderful, and I plan to return often to see what you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, almost edible, color choices!! Another term for it might be "candy color". Perfect for delectable desserts! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is joyous, Catherine! I love the blues in the table. Great version of the challenge.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete