Monday, August 1, 2011

Poppies

This is my contribution for one of the Daily Paintworks Challenges. It had quite a few criteria including using only 3 colors plus white:Ultra Blue, Cad Yellow Med (or Lt), Cad Rd Lt, which I did, limiting  painting time to one hour, I cheated on this, I think I took about an hour and a half, and use only three brush sizes (large, med and small), which I did. Also, the challenge calls for painting outside. Nope, didn't do that. Any gardener would know that poppies are a spring flower, so yes, this is from a photo. Also, the flowers around my neighbourhood are pretty sad and crispy looking. I went out with my camera to find some, but no success. At this point, I am just not a plein aire painter, and yes, it was too hot!!
  I like the colors and the balance of light and dark values. I regard this as a useful exercise.

6x6"
Oil on gessoboard
NFS

3 comments:

  1. I actually really love the looseness and feel of this one. Maybe because a friend I used to have loves poppies...but I think this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one . . . Great composition, colors are gorgeous, and nice painterly, brushstrokes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, This is really pretty- the poppy colors against the greens is perfect. Love the brushwork and that dark background makes them pop:) Not sure how I missed this one!

    ReplyDelete